Sometimes I’m internally like “How is that a trigger?, ” then I realize other people have different life experiences from me, they don’t owe me their story, and I move the fuck on.
so much power in that statement
I always gotta reblog idc
U know what would have changed my world growing up? A depiction of a gay character in children’s media as a fully fleshed out person and a positive role model
U know what is and has always been perfectly useless? “Queer representation” in the form of throwaway gay jokes aimed at adult audiences. If you think that’s good enough for our youth then fuck you
and no that family scene in frozen does not count as queer representation.
A transgender woman was murdered just steps away from her home in North Memphis on Friday night. Alejandra Leos was shot in the 1600 block of Berkshire…
7 Trans Women of Color; all killed during the season that holds Pride Month. The queer community is still abuzz with the last vestiges of the season that promises parades, alcohol, and ‘a freedom to be you.’ So often, the larger LGBTQ “community,” has this idea that we’re all equally policed for being a part of this population. Without doubt, the summer of 2014 has proven that this is not the case.
- Kandy Hall
- Tiffany Edwards
- Zoraida Eles Reyes,
- Yaz’Min Shancez
- Cemia Dove
- Brittany-Nicole Kidd-Stergis
- and Betty Skinner
…are the names of the 7 women that have fallen this season before Alejandra; and there is no protest for them. They are the silent-fallen that have fallen silent. There is an epidemic of trans female genocide; a cure to this maddening, tragic plague has yet to be seen.
Please #RememberAlejandra. If we continue to brush over the victimization of TWoC then again and again these beautiful lives will be cut short; again and again, #GirlsLikeUs will be made victims of hatred.
Mr. Rock reminding you of the white male dominated entertainment industry’s racist fuckery.
Good ‘ol Chris, lol.
Chris Rock to me STAYS WOKE and even though he play well with others he still keeps it real as fuck about race.
I hate white people who insult Chris Rock. “He’s so angry!” they say. Angry? He’s smiling ear to ear almost constantly! Maybe he seems angry to you because he’s pointing out things you’d rather not hear.
cis people aren’t allowed to edit my papers anymore
"WHAAATT? I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY WORK??? IN MY OWN PAPER??? WHAT THE FUUUCK??"
It’s not my job to educate you, teacher.
I’m betting one hundred bucks that this is a comment about a really badly written essay and not someone being actively transphobic.
well, you’re about to owe me one hundred bucks.
- this is not the first time i mentioned privilege in the paper. or cisgender. this paper was written on my personal experiences with being trans, and the difficulties i’ve faced because of it, and the difficulties that cisgender people with otherwise comparable lives have not faced.
- the terms privilege and cisgender had both been thoroughly elaborated on in this paper.
- this paper was written for a women’s studies class, on gender analysis, in which both privilege and cisgender privilege in particular had been explained, elaborated upon, and discussed by the professor.
- the comment was not by the professor, it was by a cis classmate during a peer review.
- the words cisgender and privilege are both in scare quotes (in case you can’t google that or don’t know what it means or want to deny their existence, scare quotes is when you put a word or phrase in quotation marks to make it seem less real — the textual version of sarcastically making air quotes with your fingers)
- another edit, by the same editor, involved asking me what my birth name was. i’m sure you don’t need to be told that that’s transphobic.
- i spoke to the professor about this edit, and he agreed with me that the comment (and the way it was phrased) was out of line. in fact, he thought it was so out of line that he led a workshop for the class on how not to be disrespectful assholes to trans people (say, by asking for their birth name, or telling them they’re wrong or oversensitive about transphobia).
- i got a 99% on the essay — WITHOUT changing anything the edit asked for.
- the professor liked my essay so much that he asked to keep it as an EXAMPLE for future classes
bonus: if your reaction to seeing gross transphobic things is “well it’s probably the trans person’s fault”, then you’re gross and transphobic and i hope you don’t know any trans people IRL for their sake
y’all ever realize how on ancestry.com commercials
they never go back further than 1865
afraid to see what’s hanging out in your family trees?
y’all ain’t slick
"White people won’t go to far back in their family tree. Because they’re afraid a nigga might fall out." ~ Paul Mooney
- Ferguson limiting attendance at its Town Hall meetings. No media or other STL residents allowed.
- Fundraising still stalled for Darren Wilson
- How body cameras could change police
- The rhetoric of white privilege in America
- What’s Happening Today: STL Crisis Nursery distributing supplies on Canfield from 12pm-2pm. More info.